[Theory] REMINDER: 1/31 Talks at TTIC: Daniel Bruder, Harvard University

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Sun Jan 30 15:01:00 CST 2022

*When:*      Monday, January 31st at* 11:30 am CT*

*Where:*     Zoom Virtual Talk (*register in advance here
<https://uchicagogroup.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_hkwi_poGQOq3znZQgG7bBg>*)

*Who: *       Daniel Bruder, Harvard University

*Title*:        Towards Highly Capable Soft Robots

*Abstract*:
Soft robots have been an active area of research in the robotics community
due to their versatility and ability to safely interact with their
environment. However, despite their potential advantages, their real-world
applications have been limited due to the difficulty involved in modeling
and controlling soft robotic systems. In this talk, I’ll describe two
modeling approaches aimed at overcoming the limitations of previous
methods. The first is a physics-based approach for fluid-driven actuators
that offers predictions in terms of tunable geometrical parameters, making
it a valuable tool in the design of soft fluid-driven robotic systems. The
second is a data-driven approach that leverages Koopman operator theory to
construct models that are linear, which enables the utilization of linear
control techniques for nonlinear dynamical systems like soft robots. Using
this Koopman-based approach, a pneumatically actuated soft arm was able to
autonomously perform manipulation tasks such as trajectory following and
pick-and-place with a variable payload without undergoing any task-specific
training. In the future, these approaches could offer a paradigm for
designing and controlling all soft robotic systems, leading to their more
widespread adoption in real-world applications.

*Host:* *Matthew Walter <mwalter at ttic.edu>*

Mary C. Marre
Faculty Administrative Support