[Theory] 1/21 Talks at TTIC: Ivan Stelmakh, Carnegie Mellon University

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Fri Jan 14 14:21:53 CST 2022

*When:*     Friday, January 21st at* 9:30 am CT*

*Where:*    Zoom Virtual Talk (*register in advance here
<https://uchicagogroup.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_f5MT0eRXSgK9bA2DRI6k6g>*)

*Who: *      Ivan Stelmakh, Carnegie Mellon University

*Title: *
Towards Principled Algorithmic Support of Human Decision-Making

*Abstract: *
Many important applications such as hiring, healthcare, and scientific peer
review rely on human decision-making. Recently, the scale of many of these
applications has increased dramatically which is both an opportunity and a
challenge. On the one hand, the large amount of data generated in these
applications opens up an *opportunity* to take a novel data-centric
perspective on the classical problems of human decision-making. On the
other hand, the large scale makes it hard or even impossible for humans to
do all the work manually; hence, there is a *challenge* of developing
principled algorithmic tools to support human decision-makers. In this
talk, I will discuss my work on exploring the opportunities and addressing
the challenges in the context of scientific peer review. In that, I will
talk about empirical and theoretical work that has impacted major Computer
Science conferences such as NeurIPS and ICML. I will then outline ideas for
future work.

*Bio: *
Ivan is a fifth-year PhD student in the Machine Learning Department at
Carnegie Mellon University advised by Nihar Shah and Aarti Singh. His
research interests lie in the area of learning from people with a focus on
building a principled approach towards large-scale human decision-making in
high-stake applications. In his thesis research, Ivan works on making
scientific peer review scientific by developing tools, techniques, and
experiments to support fair, equitable, and efficient peer review.

*Host*: *Avrim Blum* <avrim at ttic.edu>

Mary C. Marre
Faculty Administrative Support