[Theory] REMINDER: 1/13 Talks at TTIC: Kush Bhatia, UC Berkeley

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Wed Jan 12 16:18:34 CST 2022

*When:*      Thursday, January 13th at* 11:00 am CT*

*Where:*     Zoom Virtual Talk (*register in advance here
<https://uchicagogroup.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_EBg_DaYoTWycE8aDhN6e_A>*)

*Who: *       Kush Bhatia, UC Berkeley

*Title:*        Learning When Objectives Are Hard to Specify

*Abstract: *

Real world deployment of learning systems which interact with humans
requires aligning what these systems optimize for with underlying human
objectives and values. A major hurdle towards accomplishing this has been
that it is hard for humans to precisely specify what it means to do the
desired task well.

In the first part, we will take a multi-criteria viewpoint towards these
underlying objectives and develop a framework for selection of such
value-aligned models when the data comprises pairwise comparisons across
multiple different criteria. In the second part, I will present our work on
understanding the consequence of over optimizing a misspecified objective.
We find evidence about the existence of phase transitions which could pose
challenges to safe deployment of such learning systems.

*Host*: *Nati Srebro* <nati at ttic.edu>

Mary C. Marre
Faculty Administrative Support