[Theory] REMINDER: 6/14 Distinguished Lecture Series: Daniela Rus, Massachusetts Institute of Technology ​

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Sun Jun 13 15:35:01 CDT 2021

*TTIC Distinguished Lecture Series:**Daniela Rus
<http://danielarus.csail.mit.edu/>, **Massachusetts Institute of Technology*

*Monday**, June 14, 2021 at 11:10 am CT*

[image: image.png]
*Lecture will be held virtually:*

*register in advance here*
<https://uchicagogroup.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_gfZAGLoWTW6bRybyThL00g>

*Daniela Rus*

*Massachusetts Institute of Technology*

*Director of the MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence
Laboratory*

*Andrew and Erna Viterbi Professor in the Department of Electrical
Engineering and Computer Science at the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology*

------------------------------
*Title:* Learning Risk and Social Behavior in Mixed Human-Autonomous
Vehicles Systems

*Abstract: *Deployment of autonomous vehicles (AV) on public roads promises
increases in efficiency and safety and requires intelligent situation
awareness. We wish to have autonomous vehicles that can learn to behave in
safe and predictable ways, are capable of evaluating risk, understanding
the intent of human drivers, and adapting to different road situations.
This talk describes an approach to learning and integrating risk and
behavior analysis in the control of autonomous vehicles. I will introduce
Social Value Orientation (SVO), which captures how an agent’s social
preferences and cooperation affect interactions with other agents by
quantifying the degree of selfishness or altruism. SVO can be integrated in
control and decision making for AVs. I will provide recent examples of
self-driving vehicles capable of adaptation.

*Bio:* Daniela Rus is the Andrew (1956) and Erna Viterbi Professor of
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Director of the Computer
Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) at MIT, and Deputy
Dean of Research in the Schwarzman College of Computing at MIT. Rus'
research interests are in robotics and artificial intelligence. The key
focus of her research is to develop the science and engineering of
autonomy. Rus is a Class of 2002 MacArthur Fellow, a fellow of ACM, AAAI
and IEEE, a member of the National Academy of Engineering, and of the
American Academy of Arts and Sciences. She is the recipient of the
Engelberger Award for robotics. She is a senior visiting fellow at MITRE
Corporation. She earned her PhD in Computer Science from Cornell University.

*Host:* Matthew Walter <mwalter at ttic.edu>

For questions and comments contact *Jinbo Xu <j3xu at ttic.edu>.*

[image: image.png]

Mary C. Marre