[Theory] Reminder: 5/27 Thesis Defense: Lifu Tu, TTIC

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Wed May 26 15:00:00 CDT 2021

*Thesis Defense: Lifu Tu, TTIC*

*When:*      Thursday*,* May 27th at *10:00 am CT*

*Where:*    * Join virtually here
<https://uchicago.zoom.us/j/93121868587?pwd=NFRkOWZuZ2xuVWRQNkVYSHVJYVpBdz09>*

*Who: *       Lifu Tu, TTIC

*Title:        *Learning Energy-Based Approximate Inference Networks for
Structured Applications in NLP

*Abstract: *Researchers are increasingly applying deep representation
learning to these problems, but the structured component of these
approaches is usually quite simplistic. However, this may have
substantially lower accuracy than an approach that models the interactions
between the structured outputs. Due to the exponentially large space of
candidate outputs, it is computational challenging to jointly predict all
components of the structured outputs. During my Ph.D., I work on how to
model complex structured outputs with energy functions and better
approximate inference for structured tasks. In my work, we use a neural
network trained to approximate structured argmax inference with respect to
energy functions. This "energy-based inference network" outputs continuous
values that we treat as the output structure. In our method, the time
complexity for the inference is linear with the label set size.
“energy-based Inference networks” achieve a better speed/accuracy/search
error trade-off than gradient descent, while also being faster than exact
inference at similar accuracy levels. We also design a margin-based method
that jointly learns energy function and inference networks.  I have applied
the method on several NLP tasks, including multi-label classification,
part-of-speech tagging, named entity recognition, semantic role labeling,
and non-autoregressive machine translation.

*Thesis Advisor:* *Kevin Gimpel* <kgimpel at ttic.edu>

Join Zoom Meeting
*https://uchicago.zoom.us/j/93121868587?pwd=NFRkOWZuZ2xuVWRQNkVYSHVJYVpBdz09*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://uchicago.zoom.us/j/93121868587?pwd%3DNFRkOWZuZ2xuVWRQNkVYSHVJYVpBdz09&sa=D&source=calendar&ust=1621298635898000&usg=AOvVaw067Gwb-OCTKfwsWBK4-z4i>