[Theory] Reminder: 5/13 Thesis Defense: Blake Woodworth, TTIC

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Tue May 11 09:32:18 CDT 2021

*Thesis Defense: Blake Woodworth, TTIC*

*When:*      Thursday*,* May 13th at 9:00 am CT

*Where:*    * Join virtually here
<https://uchicago.zoom.us/j/99485863831?pwd=U2pDL2hpTW5URnppbFJBb2dxYnNFdz09>*

*Who: *       Blake Woodworth, TTIC

*Title:        *The Minimax Complexity of Distributed Optimization

*Abstract: *With the increasingly large scale of optimization problems,
particularly those arising from training huge machine learning models using
massive datasets, it is important to leverage parallelism to tractably
solve these problems. This thesis focuses on understanding optimal
algorithms for and the fundamental limits of distributed optimization. I
will describe the "graph oracle model" framework, an extension of the
classic oracle model to the distributed setting, and apply this framework
to study several distributed optimization settings of interest. I will
focus on the intermittent communication setting---where several machines
optimize in parallel but with limited communication between them---where I
will characterize the optimal error and optimal algorithms. Finally, I will
describe several possible avenues for circumventing these lower bounds in
order to be "better than optimal."

*Thesis Advisor:* Nathan Srebro <nati at ttic.edu>

Zoom link for the virtual presentation.
https://uchicago.zoom.us/j/99485863831?pwd=U2pDL2hpTW5URnppbFJBb2dxYnNFdz09