[Theory] REMINDER: 5/5 Distinguished Lecture Series: Maria Chudnovsky, Princeton University

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Wed May 5 10:15:34 CDT 2021

*TTIC Distinguished Lecture Series:  *
*Maria Chudnovsky <http://web.math.princeton.edu/~mchudnov/>, Princeton
University*
*Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 11:10 am CT*

[image: image.png]
*Lecture will be held virtually:*

*Register in advance here
<https://uchicagogroup.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_20E3l8jvQr2BubSLhxH5yw>*

*Maria Chudnovsky*

*Professor, **Princeton University *

*Department of Mathematics*

*The Program in Applied and Computational Mathematics*

------------------------------

*Title:* Induced Subgraphs and Tree Decompositions

*Abstract:* Tree decompositions are a powerful tool in structural graph
theory, that is traditionally used in the context of forbidden graph
minors. Connecting tree decompositions and forbidden induced subgraphs has
so far remained out of reach. Recently we obtained several results in this
direction; the talk will be a survey of these results.

*Bio:* Maria Chudnovsky received her B.A. and M.Sc. form the Technion, and
a PhD from Princeton University in 2003. Currently she is a professor at
Princeton. Before returning to Princeton in 2015, she was a Veblen Research
Instructor at Princeton University and the IAS, an assistant professor at
Princeton, a Clay Mathematics Institute research fellow, and a Liu Family
Professor of IEOR at Columbia University. Her research interests are in
graph theory and combinatorics. She is an editorial board member of the
Journal of Graph Theory, Discrete Mathematics and Journal of Computer and
System Sciences. Dr. Chudnovsky was a part of a team of four researchers
that proved the strong perfect graph theorem, a 40-year-old conjecture that
had been a well-known open problem in both graph theory and combinatorial
optimization. For this work, she was awarded the Ostrowski foundation
research stipend in 2003, and the prestigious Fulkerson prize in 2009. She
was also named one of the "brilliant ten" young scientists by the Popular
Science magazine. In 2012, Dr. Chudnovsky received the MacArthur Foundation
Fellowship. In 2014, she was an invited speaker at the International
Congress of Mathematicians.

*Host: **Julia Chuzhoy* <cjulia at ttic.edu>

*Distinguished Lecture Series <https://www.ttic.edu/dls/>:* for questions
and comments contact *Jinbo Xu <j3xu at ttic.edu>**.*