[Theory] REMINDER: 3/11 Talks at TTIC: Audrey Sedal, University of Michigan

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Wed Mar 11 10:23:07 CDT 2020

*Talks at TTIC*

[image: image.png]

*When:*      Wednesday, March 11th at 11:00 am

*Where:*     TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

*Who: *       Audrey Sedal, University of Michigan

*Title:*
>From First-Principles Modeling to Deployment and Measurement of Soft Robots

*Abstract:*
Continuous, compliant robots are morphologically intelligent: their
inherent compliance helps them deflect around obstacles, handle delicate
objects, and match impedance with their environments. Yet, soft systems are
difficult to design, model, and control in the same situations where their
potential is most apparent.

I am developing new ways to design, model and measure compliant and
otherwise unruly robots whose shapes and behaviors do not necessarily fit
in to traditional robotics frameworks. In this presentation, I will discuss
how techniques from continuum mechanics can describe and characterize soft
robots, and how soft robot design can be informed by physical principles.
The work presented here will help to create new compact, resilient devices
capable of sophisticated motions for medical devices, haptics, and
manipulation of fragile objects.

*Bio:*
Audrey Sedal is a PhD candidate at the University of Michigan–Ann Arbor in
Mechanical Engineering. She is interested in designing and controlling
continuous, compliant robotic mechanisms for use in manipulation,
exploration, and human assistance.  She completed her undergraduate studies
at MIT in 2015, and her Masters of Mechanical Engineering at the University
of Michigan in 2018. In 2019, Audrey was named a Rising Star in Mechanical
Engineering.

*Host:* Matthew Walter <mwalter at ttic.com>

Mary C. Marre
Faculty Administrative Support