[Theory] REMINDER: 2/6 Talks at TTIC: Bhuwan Dhingra, Carnegie Mellon University

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Wed Feb 5 14:54:39 CST 2020

*When:*      Thursday, February 6th at 11:00 am

*Where:*     TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

*Who: *       Bhuwan Dhingra, Carnegie Mellon University

*Title:*        End-to-End Learning with Knowledge

*Abstract: *
People increasingly rely on technology to help them navigate the massive
amount of online information. Systems which answer user queries must
aggregate information from multiple large-scale sources, often in different
formats or modalities (e.g. text and databases). In this talk, I will
present methods for multi-hop reasoning, which involves following a chain
of inferences to derive answers, over a data structure consisting of both
structured and unstructured information. By combining classical random-walk
algorithms with neural representations these methods require no
intermediate supervision beyond question and answer pairs, and scale to the
entire Wikipedia in milliseconds. I’ll conclude by laying out future
research directions towards a general interface between learning and
different types of knowledge.

*Bio:*
Bhuwan Dhingra is a final year PhD student at Carnegie Mellon University,
advised by William Cohen and Ruslan Salakhutdinov. His research interests
are in natural language processing, machine learning and symbolic knowledge
representation and reasoning. His work is supported by the Siemens
FutureMakers PhD fellowship. In 2019, he won the CMU 3-minute thesis
championship. Prior to joining CMU, Bhuwan completed his undergraduate
studies at IIT Kanpur in 2013, and spent two years at Qualcomm Research in
San Diego.

Host: Kevin Gimpel <kgimpel at ttic.edu>

Mary C. Marre
Faculty Administrative Support