[gvr-support:0011] Re: NERSC Support for XStack

Hajime Fujita hfujita at uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 23 14:24:43 CDT 2015

Hello Richard,

My name is Hajime Fujita, a postdoc in the GVR project. I'll be taking care of this GVR deployment to NERSC machines.

First let me understand the latest situation. Have you completed the transition to the new process for user-installed software?
Please let me know where we can start.

Thank you,
Hajime

> On Mar 12, 2015, at 6:33 PM, Richard Gerber <ragerber at lbl.gov> wrote:
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> We're in a bit of a transition phase with our software management. Part of our new scheme will involve a well-defined process for user-installed and maintained software. We're not there yet, but I think I will know more in a about a week. So I'd like to revisit this in about a week and see what makes the most sense in the short run.
>
> Regards,
> Richard
>
> Richard Gerber, Ph.D.
> Senior Science Advisor | User Services Group Lead
> National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center | Berkeley Lab
> ragerber at lbl.gov | phone: (510) 486-6820   fax: 510-486-4316
>
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 1:58 PM, Andrew A. Chien <achien at cs.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> Richard,
>
> thanks for the effort, and message.  I think they took it down to make a minor patch.... amusingly this was triggered by my "heads up" that you were asking about putting this up and NERSC.
>
> Let me make sure this is fixed (in general), and then we can pursue the path that John (next message) is pointing out.
>
> cheers,
> -Andrew
>
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 3:42 PM, Richard Gerber <ragerber at lbl.gov> wrote:
> I tried to download the software from the web site. It had me register and wait for an email, which I never received (maybe I typed my email incorrectly?)
>
> Richard
>
> Richard Gerber, Ph.D.
> Senior Science Advisor | User Services Group Lead
> National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center | Berkeley Lab
> ragerber at lbl.gov | phone: (510) 486-6820   fax: 510-486-4316
>
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 11:09 PM, Richard Gerber <ragerber at lbl.gov> wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> We can give that a try. As long as it builds cleanly we should be OK. Otherwise we'll ask you to find someone who can log in and build the software.
>
> Regards,
> Richard
>
> Richard Gerber, Ph.D.
> Senior Science Advisor | User Services Group Lead
> National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center | Berkeley Lab
> ragerber at lbl.gov | phone: (510) 486-6820   fax: 510-486-4316
>
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 1:05 PM, Andrew A. Chien <achien at cs.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> Thanks Richard.  Did you get a quick look at our website?  I think we may be a little further along than many of the xstacks.  We have a public release and extensive documentation.  Thats all on the web page I mentioned.
>
> So, John's email suggested you could build and make available, and put up our documentation.  Is that right? If so what more do you need from us?
>
> I will confirm the release bits are the right one to build for Edison... Where we have been running for more than half a year with full apps.
>
> Cheers, -Andrew

> [...]

Hajime Fujita
Postdoctoral Scholar, Large-Scale Systems Group
Department of Computer Science, The University of Chicago
http://www.cs.uchicago.edu/people/hfujita