[Cs22800] Welcome to CS22800 - Spring 2003

Ken Tsang kftsang at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 11 22:32:56 CDT 2003

This is the CS22800 Weekly Newsletter for the week of April 13, 2003.
---

=============
Introductions
=============

Greetings to Prof. O'Donnell, CS22800 students, and friends. I just
wanted to send out an email to kick off this quarter's CS22800 mailing
list. So here it is.

There are five students enrolled in the Spring 2003 Free Software
Practicum at The University of Chicago:

Stephen Dranger and Ziba Scott
------------------------------

Stephen[1] and Ziba[2] are continuing their work from the fall[3],
which centers around creating a taskbar for the in-development 0.17
release of the Enlightenment[4] window manager (and soon-to-be desktop
shell) for Linux.

  1. stdrange at uchicago.edu
  2. zrscott at uchicago.edu
  3.
http://www.classes.cs.uchicago.edu/classes/archive/2002/fall/22800-1/
ziba_stephen.txt
  4. http://www.enlightenment.org/

Brian Kim
---------

Brian[5] is working on Liferay[6], a J2EE web portal application geared
for enterprise.

  5. brian_kim1 at hotmail.com
  6. http://www.liferay.com/

Eric Lee and Ken Tsang
----------------------

Eric[7] and Ken[8] are working on Fire[9], a multi-protocol
(AIM/ICQ/MSN/Yahoo!/IRC/Jabber) instant messaging client for Mac OS X,
by providing significant (and well-needed) user interface improvements
to be incorporated into the 1.0 release (currently scheduled for the
end of May). The ultimate goal for Fire 1.0 is to replace completely a
user's reliance on any native messaging clients. So far, this work has
included minor projects, such as porting the "smileys" from the Windows
ICQ client. Forthcoming is a complete overhaul of the extensive
preferences user interface, which can be considered "a bit confusing."
Ken has also provided a complete localization for both Simplified and
Traditional Chinese systems for the current 0.32 branch, and will be
bringing Chinese to 1.0 when the localization freeze takes place
sometime in May.

  7. ericlee1 at midway.uchicago.edu
  8. kftsang at cs.uchicago.edu
  9. http://fire.sourceforge.net/

According to SourceForge statistics[10], Fire's rank has shot up wildly
since we started working on the project (currently ranked at 11)[11].
Coincidence? Or did we spark a trend? :)

  10. http://sourceforge.net/project/stats/?group_id=33772
  11. http://sourceforge.net/top/mostactive.php?type=week

maintained by Brian Kim (as of posting time, course website is not yet
up):

  12.
http://www.classes.cs.uchicago.edu/classes/archive/2003/spring/22800-1/

Closing Remarks

Feel free to post questions/comments/updates/etc. to the list. This
should prove to be an interesting and exciting quarter.

Ken <kftsang at cs.uchicago.edu>