[CS] TODAY: Madhav Mani (Northwestern) – Towards a Theory of Organismal Development — From Data to Science

Rob Mitchum rmitchum at uchicago.edu
Fri Nov 18 09:20:20 CST 2022

*Part of the Computer Science/Statistics/Data Science Institute
Distinguished Speaker Series
<https://datascience.uchicago.edu/news/autumn-2022-distinguished-speaker-series/>*

*Friday, November 18th*
*12:00pm - 1:30pm (12:00 lunch, 12:30 talk)*
*In Person: John Crerar Library 390*
*Zoom: *
*https://uchicagogroup.zoom.us/j/96627397588?pwd=NEN4V3BZS1FNRFoxVkw0cHVCUTNzUT09*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://uchicagogroup.zoom.us/j/96627397588?pwd%3DNEN4V3BZS1FNRFoxVkw0cHVCUTNzUT09&sa=D&source=calendar&ust=1669062520841468&usg=AOvVaw02Xz4WXxHNj1naOmVpEn3d>
Meeting ID: 966 2739 7588
Passcode: 245550

*Madhav Mani*

*Associate Professor of Engineering Sciences and Applied Mathematics*
*Northwestern University*

*Towards a Theory of Organismal Development — From Data to Science*

*Abstract*: In this talk, I will present our advances on the mysteries of
organismal development. The path adopted is inspired by, and a synthesis of
approaches at the interface of mathematics, physics, and machine learning.
Through a sequence of vignettes, each seeking to distill fundamental
insights from big biological data, I will attempt to bring into focus a
Theory of development. The vignettes will include a study of 1) the
statistical modes of natural phenotypic variation and adaptation in a study
of fruit fly wings, 2) the nature of fundamental mechanical constraints and
their control in a study of ascidian embryogenesis, 3) an identification of
transcriptomic dynamics leveraging dynamical systems and deep-learning
approaches, and 4) a mathematically rigorous approach to identifying
bifurcations during cell fate specification dynamics. The overarching goal
driving our investigations is a desire to construct a predictive and
explanatory Theory for the whole and its emergence from its parts.

*Bio*: Madhav Mani <https://www.madhavmani.com/> is Associate Professor of
Engineering Sciences and Applied Mathematics (ESAM) at Northwestern
University. He is also an Adjunct Faculty Member of Molecular Biosciences
and Founding Member of the Institute of Theoretical and Computational Soft
Matter at Northwestern, and the Quantitative Biology Group Leader of the
Northwestern Institute of Complex System (NICO). He is on the Leadership
Council of the NSF-Simons Center for Quantitative Biology (CQuB) and is a
Member of Center for Physics of Evolving Systems at the University of
Chicago.

--
*Rob Mitchum*

*Associate Director of Communications for Data Science and Computing*
*Department of Computer Science*
*Data Science Institute*
*University of Chicago*
*rmitchum at uchicago.edu <rmitchum at ci.uchicago.edu>*