[Colloquium] Dale Decatur MS Presentation/Apr 11, 2024

meganwoodward at uchicago.edu meganwoodward at uchicago.edu
Thu Mar 28 15:30:50 CDT 2024

This is an announcement of Dale Decatur's MS Presentation
Candidate: Dale Decatur

Date: Thursday, April 11, 2024

Time:  3 pm CST

Location: JCL 298

Title: Text-driven Localization and Local Editing of 3D Shapes

Abstract: While digital 3D content is widely used, current tools for manipulating this content require years of experience and demand tedious, manual input to operate. To address this, we develop automated techniques for locally editing 3D shapes using only the intuitive medium of text descriptions as guidance. We first explore an approach to text-driven region localization utilizing the inherent semantic understanding of 2D generative models to extract explicit localizations on our 3D shape. Since our neural optimization is supervised by a pre-trained 2D model, we bypass the need for any 3D datasets or 3D annotations. We then discuss how to incorporate local texture edits by simultaneously learning a localization and local texture which conforms to it. To enhance the details and resolution of our local edits, we supervise our optimization with generative priors learned from images at different resolutions, enabling control over both the granularity and global understanding of the supervision.

Advisors: Rana Hanocka

Committee Members: Rana Hanocka, Ari Holtzman, and Michael Maire