[Colloquium] Han Liu Candidacy Exam/Mar 28, 2024

meganwoodward at uchicago.edu meganwoodward at uchicago.edu
Thu Mar 14 13:28:35 CDT 2024

This is an announcement of Han Liu's Candidacy Exam.
Candidate: Han Liu

Date: Thursday, March 28, 2024

Time: 12 pm CST

Remote Location: https://uchicago.zoom.us/j/5431475712?pwd=T2hsWXRWZHJTRzBXc2duSkE4bkpkdz09

Location: Searle 240A

Title: Empowering humans with machines: from explanations to teaching

Abstract: Artificial intelligence models are increasingly used to assist humans in decision making tasks. However, they solve problems in different ways than humans do, resulting in different performance of human-AI teams. An ideal human-AI collaboration system should leverage the strengths of both humans and AI, and mitigate their weaknesses. In this presentation, I will talk about how to empower humans with AI systems on decision making tasks. In Part I, I will talk about an investigation on how different distribution types and explanation types influence human-AI team performance on text classification and recidivism prediction. In Part II, I will talk about how to build AI-driven tutorials to assist and teach human to do natural and medical image classification.

Advisors: Chenhao Tan

Committee Members: Yuxin Chen, Chenhao Tan, and Aritrick Chatterjee