[Colloquium] Reminder - Benjamin Caldwell MS Presentation/Feb 1, 2024

Megan Woodward meganwoodward at uchicago.edu
Thu Feb 1 08:17:22 CST 2024

This is an announcement of Benjamin Caldwell's MS Presentation
Candidate: Benjamin Caldwell

Date: Thursday, February 01, 2024

Time:  9:30 am CST

Location: JCL 298

Title: Applications of the ZX-Calculus

Abstract: The ZX-calculus has become a popular system for reasoning about
quantum information across different subfields including fault tolerance,
optimization, and simulation. Each of these topics has their own techniques
they apply to the ZX-calculus that build on top of its core systems. In
the first half of this survey we will take a look at ZX-diagrams and the
ZX-calculus as a system built on top of string diagrams which exist for any
compact closed category. Then we will survey fault tolerance,
simulation, and optimization to see how different topics specialize the ZX-
calculus with new constructs or rules. This will involve a survey of the
various rulesets for the ZX-calculus, quantum computing models and their
relation to the ZX-calculus, and constructively buildingx diagrams.

Advisors: Stuart Kurtz and Robert Rand

Committee Members: Stuart Kurtz, Robert Rand, and Miriam Backens