[Colloquium] U of C - CS Theory Seminar, Tuesday, April 16: Kent 107

Jose J Fragoso jfragoso at uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 8 13:43:49 CDT 2024

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO
COMPUTER SCIENCE DEPARTMENT
PRESENTS

Sitan Chen, PhD
Harvard University

 [Sitan Chen]

Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at 3:30pm
Room – Kent 107

Title: New bounds for shadow tomography

Abstract: As the computational resources for near-term quantum devices continue to grow, so too does their potential to help us analyze quantum experimental data and learn about the physical universe. In this talk, I will describe recent progress towards understanding the fundamental limitations contemporary devices impose for such tasks relative to fault-tolerant quantum computation.

In the first part of the talk, I will provide a gentle survey on our work in this direction over the last few years (no quantum background required). In the second part, I will focus on the question of shadow tomography, in which one is given copies of an n-qubit quantum state rho and wants to estimate certain expectation values of the state. I will present new bounds for this problem in the practically relevant regime where one can make measurements of at most poly(n) copies of rho at a time. The results in the second part of the talk are based on joint work with Weiyuan Gong and Qi Ye.

Bio: Sitan Chen is an Assistant Professor of Computer Science at Harvard University. Previously, he completed an NSF Mathematical Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at UC Berkeley, hosted by Prasad Raghavendra. He received his PhD in EECS from MIT in 2021 under the supervision of Ankur Moitra. He has been the recipient of a Paul and Daisy Soros Fellowship, an Akamai Presidential Fellowship, and the Captain Jonathan Fay Prize. His research focuses on designing algorithms with provable guarantees for fundamental problems in data science, especially in the context of generative modeling, deep learning, and quantum information.

Host: Aaron Potechin