[Colloquium] TODAY: [TTIC Talks] 10/20 Research at TTIC: Anand Bhattad, TTIC

Brandie Jones bjones at ttic.edu
Fri Oct 20 09:00:00 CDT 2023

*When:*         Friday, October 20th* at 12:30pm CT  *

*Where:*        Talk will be given *live, in-person* at

                       TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue

                        5th Floor, Room 530

*Virtually:*     via Panopto (Livestream
<https://uchicago.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=9e9c96c3-9caf-4f97-84c0-b082013b5d41>
)

*Who:*           Anand Bhattad, TTIC

*Title*:          What Do Generative Image Models Know?

*Abstract:  *Generative image models can produce compelling pictures of
realistic scenes. Objects are in sensible places, surfaces have rich
textures, illumination effects appear accurate, and the models are
controllable. These models can also generate semantically meaningful edits
of scenes by modifying internal parameters. But do these models manipulate
a purely abstract representation of the world, or do they work in terms of
familiar rendering variables?

In this talk, I will present our recent work on the latent capabilities of
generative image models, specifically focusing on the StyleGAN
architecture. Our findings indicate that StyleGAN models possess an
inherent ability to generate a wide array of scene attributes, including
but not limited to, variable lighting conditions, albedo maps, depth maps,
and normal maps. These attributes are traditionally used in computer
graphics for rendering purposes, yet we provide compelling evidence that
they are intrinsically available within the generative model architecture
that was solely trained to generate images without ever seeing scene
attribute data during training. In the end, I will extend the discussion to
incorporate stable diffusion models, presenting empirical evidence from our
ongoing work that suggests these models also harbor similar capabilities
far exceeding initial expectations.

*Masks are optional in all common areas. **Full visitor guidance is
available at ttic.edu/visitors <http://ttic.edu/visitors>.*

*Research at TTIC Seminar Series*

TTIC is hosting a weekly seminar series presenting the research currently
underway at the Institute. Every week a different TTIC faculty member will
present their research.  The lectures are intended for students seeking
research topics and advisors and for the general TTIC and University of
Chicago communities interested in hearing what their colleagues are up to.

--
*Brandie Jones *
*Executive **Administrative Assistant*