[Colloquium] NOW: [TTIC Talks] Talks at TTIC: Chong Liu, University of Chicago

Brandie Jones bjones at ttic.edu
Wed Nov 29 10:25:00 CST 2023

*When:*         Wednesday, November 29th* at 10:30am CT  *

*Where:*        Talk will be given *live, in-person* at

                       TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue

                        5th Floor, Room 530

*Virtually:*    via Panopto (Livestream
<https://uchicago.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=4dca27ae-caec-4afe-a48e-b0bd01303be8>
)

*Who:*           Chong Liu, University of Chicago

*Title*:           Global Optimization with Parametric Function
Approximation: Realizability and Misspecification

*Abstract:*    To discover strong materials, materials scientists need to
sequentially select processing parameters and conduct long-time experiments
to observe performances. To train a deep neural network, computer
scientists need to run computationally expensive hyperparameter tuning
experiments on validation sets. In both cases, scientists are solving
black-box global optimization problems. However, scientists cannot observe
performances of unselected parameters, and the experimental cost can be
huge. These two challenges call for our actions to develop efficient and
robust global optimization algorithms. In this talk, I will present my work
on solving global optimization with parametric function approximation and
show how to relax the function realizability assumption to misspecification
settings.

*Bio*: Chong Liu is a DSI Postdoctoral Scholar at the University of
Chicago, and he will join the University at Albany - State University of
New York as an Assistant Professor of Computer Science starting in Fall
2024. His research interests are Machine Learning (Bayesian optimization,
bandits, and active learning) and AI for Science (experimental design,
materials science, and drug discovery). He is an editorial board reviewer
of JMLR and serves on program committees of ICML, NeurIPS, ICLR, AISTATS,
AAAI, KDD, and SDM conferences. He is also the lead organizer of the
NeurIPS 2023 Workshop on New Frontiers of AI for Drug Discovery and
Development.

*Host:* *Lingxiao Wang <lingxw at ttic.edu> *

--
*Brandie Jones *