[Colloquium] TODAY: [TTIC Talks] 3/22 Talks at TTIC: Shiry Ginosar, UC Berkeley

Brandie Jones bjones at ttic.edu
Wed Mar 22 09:00:00 CDT 2023

*When:*         Wednesday, March 22nd* at 11:30pm CT  *

*Where:*       Talk will be given *live, in-person* at

                       TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue

                       5th Floor, Room 530

*Virtually:*     via Panopto (Livestream
<https://uchicago.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=5edb89b9-a05f-47e3-88ef-afbd011caf03>
)

*Who:          *Shiry Ginosar, UC Berkeley

*Title:*           Toward Artificial Social Intelligence

*Abstract:   *As the covid pandemic made abundantly clear—multi-faceted,
face-to-face interaction is the most effective form of communication—much
more so than written text messages or phone calls. And yet, most current AI
efforts focus primarily on text systems. In my work, I try to push the
limits of machine perception systems toward artificially intelligent agents
that can perceive and model the rich, multimodal signals of face-to-face
human social interaction: speech and communicative gesture. I will cover
several projects that take steps in this direction in the one-to-many
scenario of lectures and monologues and one-on-one dyadic face-to-face
communication. Through these examples, I will argue that it is possible to
model minute, indescribable visual and auditory details of multi-faceted
human communication using data-driven methods without relying on
annotation. I will then broaden the discussion to questions in social
intelligence, such as body language, abstract communicative motion, and
spatiotemporal trends of social norms, and suggest directions for future
inquiries.

*Bio:*     Shiry Ginosar is a Computing Innovation Postdoctoral Fellow at
UC Berkeley, advised by Jitendra Malik. She completed her Ph.D. in Computer
Science at UC Berkeley, under the supervision of Alyosha Efros. Prior to
joining the Computer Vision group, she was part of Bjoern Hartmann's
Human-Computer Interaction lab at Berkeley. Earlier in her career, she was
a Visiting Scholar at the CS Department of Carnegie Mellon University, with
Luis von Ahn and Manuel Blum in the field of Human Computation. Between her
academic roles, she spent four years at Endeca as a Senior Software
Engineer. In her distant past, Shiry trained fighter pilots in F-4 Phantom
flight simulators as a Staff Sergeant in the Israeli Air Force. Shiry’s
research has been covered by The New Yorker, The Wall Street Journal, and
the Washington Post, amongst others. Her work has been featured on PBS
NOVA, exhibited at the Israeli Design Museum and is part of the permanent
collection of the Deutsches Museum. Her patent-pending research work
inspired the founding of a startup. Shiry has been named a Rising Star in
EECS, and is a recipient of the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, the
California Legislature Grant for graduate studies, and the Samuel Silver
Memorial Scholarship Award for combining intellectual achievement in
science and engineering with serious humanistic and cultural interests.

*Host: Greg Shakhnarovich <greg at ttic.edu>*

--
*Brandie Jones *
*Executive **Administrative Assistant*