[Colloquium] Renyu Zhang Candidacy Exam/Jun 26, 2023

Megan Woodward meganwoodward at uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 16 08:38:42 CDT 2023

This is an announcement of Renyu Zhang’s Candidacy Exam.
Candidate: Renyu Zhang

Date: Monday, June 26, 2023

Time: 1:30 pm CST

Location: JCL 298

Title: Machine Learning for Biomedical Images in Low-Data Regime

Abstract: Diagnostic pathology and histopathology images play a critical role in the diagnosis and treatment of carcinomas. In order to get satisfying performance, we usually need a large amount of labeled data. Annotating a large number of histopathology images for training machine learning models can be expensive and time-consuming. We explored several approaches of machine learning in a low-data regime for histopathology images, including caption generation from histology images [Zhang et al., 2020b], a deep Bayesian active learning method [Zhang et al., 2023] to enable efficient selection of training examples that can undergo more expensive annotation, and representation learning approach that utilize existing coarse-grained labels for H&E slides to improve model performance on fine-grained data. Our experiments demonstrate that these approaches can improve the accuracy of models in the low-data regime while maintaining high levels of interpretability. The results of this study provide valuable insights for future research in the area of machine learning in low-data regimes for histopathology images.

Advisors: Robert L. Grossman

Committee Members: Robert L. Grossman, Aly A. Khan, and Yuxin Chen

 CandidacyProposal.pdf<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://drive.google.com/file/d/15ftMGuxg6-fRYVNfObLnpOzCc-C9jdRw/view?usp=drive_web__;!!BpyFHLRN4TMTrA!51WmbVugZWrpvj2edkSQUTTk7ZmvNv-zbL9hQFdLXTFoGZXsU9ESBq9lX2vICpc_XqNPwh9Asc94w4RwQjseBRpr6Gc$>