[Colloquium] U of C - CS Theory Seminar - Srikanth Srinivasan, February 21, 2023

Jose J Fragoso jfragoso at uchicago.edu
Tue Feb 21 08:19:28 CST 2023

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO
COMPUTER SCIENCE DEPARTMENT
PRESENTS

Srikanth Srinivasan
Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark

[srikanth Srinivasan]

Tuesday, February 21, 2023 at 3:30pm
Kent Chemical Laboratory, Room 102

Title: Lower Bounds for Set-Multilinear Algebraic Formulas

Abstract:  Say we have a multivariate polynomial P(x_1,..., x_n). An Algebraic formula for P is just an algebraic expression for P with nested additions and multiplications. A small formula for P implies an efficient algorithm for evaluating P, and so a lower bound on the size of any such expression implies that P is possibly hard to evaluate.

How would you show that your favorite polynomial P has no small formula? In this talk, we will see a technique (building on works of Nisan, Wigderson and Raz) for doing this that combines some linear algebra with random restrictions, which are a classical tool in circuit complexity. This helps us prove lower bounds for special kinds of algebraic formulas, called set-multilinear formulas.

Based on joint work with Nutan Limaye (ITU) and Sébastien Tavenas (USMB, Univ Grenoble). The paper can be found at:  https://eccc.weizmann.ac.il/report/2021/094/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/eccc.weizmann.ac.il/report/2021/094/__;!!BpyFHLRN4TMTrA!_jvh72boR_G5MShz_-df-YHKy6ZC_4Ix4MKW3SmM2EftKbfGSUk7mmQp204YbXhtxk6Ye22MkRXZ98i-wqIT_HxuEw$>

Bio:  I’m an Associate Professor of Computer Science at Aarhus University in Aarhus, Denmark.  I received my PhD from The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, in Tamil Nadu,  India.

Host: Alexander Razborov