[Colloquium] Muhammad Iqbal Rochman Candidacy Exam/Feb 20, 2023

Megan Woodward meganwoodward at uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 17 14:26:58 CST 2023

This is an announcement of Muhammad Iqbal Rochman's Candidacy Exam.
Candidate: Muhammad Iqbal Rochman

Date: Monday, February 20, 2023

Time: 11 am CST

Remote Location: https://uchicago.zoom.us/j/97341790060?pwd=ZVo4WU1BNGlvN09sc0JsT2dpdVdKdz09 Meeting ID: 973 4179 0060 Passcode: 595080

Location: JCL 354

Title: Performance Evaluation of Wireless Networks using Device-based Measurement

Abstract: The performance of cellular and wireless networks has been measured over the years using multiple methodologies such as simulation and lab experiments. However, these methodologies may not accurately depict network performance in a real deployment setting. There are several limitations on network implementations by device manufacturers and cellular operators, which are not reflected in software simulations or in controlled lab experiments. Additionally, some parts of wireless specifications are non-binding, i.e., the network may be incompletely implemented as long as device interoperability is achieved. On the other hand, we observe a lack of measurement reports of a deployed wireless network by academia, which are independent of the control of commercial operators.

In our research, we explore the design, approaches, and problems of measurement methodology using current consumer devices as a viable alternative for wireless performance measurement. During this work, we explored various methodologies to extract useful information from wireless devices using the device’s Application Programming Interface (API) and root capabilities. Our past work shows that this methodology is sufficient to characterize the performance of Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) and 4G networks. However, there is a need to develop the current methodology further as wireless network evolves with new spectrum and new techniques to utilize it (i.e., beam-forming to utilize high-band mmWave). Thus, we propose improving our device-based measurement methodology for the latest generation of wireless networks, such as 5G and Wi-Fi 6e. What we learned in our research can be used as a recommendation for the next generation networks (e.g., 6G and Wi-Fi 7).

Advisors: Monisha Ghosh & Nick Feamster

Committee Members: Heather Zheng, Nick Feamster, and Monisha Ghosh