[Colloquium] Reminder - Chao-Chun Hsu Candidacy Exam/Dec 7, 2023

Megan Woodward meganwoodward at uchicago.edu
Thu Dec 7 10:08:32 CST 2023

This is an announcement of Chao-Chun Hsu's Candidacy Exam.
Candidate: Chao-Chun Hsu

Date: Thursday, December 07, 2023

Time:  1 pm CST

Remote Location:  https://uchicago.zoom.us/j/7554197922?pwd=UXpHQXJ5ZDFJWExmSldMdVZDRHpyQT09<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://uchicago.zoom.us/j/7554197922?pwd=UXpHQXJ5ZDFJWExmSldMdVZDRHpyQT09__;!!BpyFHLRN4TMTrA!7lyD77oIhpw0Tu7Hw6s0E3VylYuJC-pvQ2fPg0F3lus7zt_AXzB160hMj0cL_XdecdmDF_a_y5dN7600MIj00TSbvtImKmj3GLQT$>

Location: JCL 390

Title: Understand and Improving Human Decision Making Through Texts

Abstract: Reading human-written texts allows us to understand complex ideas and experiences. For example, physician notes tell us about the patient's history, and restaurant reviews reflect the customers' experience. However, given the large volume of text on certain topics, it becomes impossible to thoroughly evaluate all documents and construct a comprehensive understanding. This challenge opens up an interesting question: Can we construct useful summaries to support prediction and decision-making by selectively focusing on the most informative content?

In the first part of this proposal, I use clinical outcome prediction tasks using clinical notes from MIMIC-III to demonstrate that not all notes are necessary for accurate outcome prediction by characterizing the value of information contained in the clinical notes.

In the second part, I propose a novel extractive summarization method called decision-focused summarization. This method aims to extract the most relevant information from source documents to support human decision-making, using future rating prediction from Yelp restaurant reviews as a testbed.

Advisors: Chenhao Tan

Committee Members: Chenhao Tan, Mina Lee, Ziad Obermeyer