[Colloquium] You’re Invited: Spring 2023 Neubauer Lecture feating Blase Ur

Nita Yack nitayack at uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 28 04:52:02 CDT 2023

[https://mcusercontent.com/b65dee8633d079c85a2952362/images/24edb86a-4afb-616e-2077-b4751b08a060.png]<https://neubauerassistantprofessors.uchicago.edu/>
You are cordially invited to attend the

Spring 2023 Neubauer Lecture

Monday, May 8, 2023 | 4:30 - 6 p.m.

Neubauer Collegium for Culture and Society, 5701 S. Woodlawn Ave.

[https://mcusercontent.com/b65dee8633d079c85a2952362/images/d86bb0a0-7ad1-bccc-df5c-bb102d6a4ccf.jpg]

Can Privacy Exist in a Data-Driven World?

with Blase Ur, Assistant Professor of Computer Science, Neubauer Family Assistant Professors Program alumnus

Algorithms impact large segments of modern life, from the media we're shown to the opportunities we are offered. Huge amounts of personal data underpin these algorithms, raising the question of how privacy can exist in such a world. In the first half of his talk, Blase Ur will draw from fields including computer science, law, art, and philosophy in tracing the relationship between privacy and technological advances, from the rise of instantaneous photography in the 19th century to the rise of ChatGPT in recent months. Later, he will discuss examples from his group's research that demonstrate how some of the same technologies that cause privacy violations can be repurposed to enable richer privacy transparency and accountability. These approaches leverage consumers' right to access personal data companies hold about them, a right strengthened by recent privacy laws.

Please RSVP<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.eventbrite.com/e/spring-2023-neubauer-lecture-with-blase-ur-registration-622771234527__;!!BpyFHLRN4TMTrA!-4RPAJgHGNvWOC5q-fVjR4iC-gBf1LcOL7xwjeGjBXIU0Llg9hV4Kj5a5_-mRVDG6p4m0oUb_eMuXhyNta0mFmAHuk9UwVxq3A$> by Friday, May 5. For more information, contact Tiana Pyer-Pereira at tianap at uchicago.edu<mailto:tianap at uchicago.edu>.

Nita

**************************
Nita Yack
Manager
Computer Science Department
5730 S. Ellis - Room 215
Chicago, IL 60637
n-yack at uchicago.edu<mailto:n-yack at uchicago.edu>
(773) 702-6019
(219) 689-0892 CELL
(773) 702-8487 FAX

"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their
sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all."

**Please note I will be on vacation May 8th through May 16.