[Colloquium] Time Update - Jake Chanenson MS Presentation/Apr 14, 2023

Megan Woodward meganwoodward at uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 12 12:01:42 CDT 2023

This is an announcement of Jake Chanenson's MS Presentation
Candidate: Jake Chanenson

Date: Friday, April 14, 2023

Time:  1:30 pm CST

Location: JCL 346

M.S. Paper Title: Uncovering Privacy and Security Challenges in K-12 Schools

Abstract: Increased use of technology in schools raises new privacy and security challenges for K-12 students---and harms such as commercialization of student data, exposure of student data in security breaches, and expanded tracking of students---but the extent of these challenges is unclear. In this paper, first, we interviewed 18 school officials and IT personnel to understand what educational technologies districts use and how they manage student privacy and security around these technologies. Second, to determine if these educational technologies are frequently endorsed across United States (US) public schools, we compiled a list of linked educational technology websites scraped from 15,573 K-12 public school/district domains and analyzed them for privacy risks. Our findings suggest that administrators lack resources to properly assess privacy and security issues around educational technologies even though they do pose potential privacy issues. Based on these findings, we make recommendations for policymakers, educators, and the CHI research community.

Advisors: Marshini Chetty

Committee Members: Marshini Chetty, Sarah Sebo, and Nick Feamster