[Colloquium] 9/30: Andrew Drucker- Accelerating Search for Decision-Making Under Uncertainty

Holly Santos hsantos at uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 26 14:12:31 CDT 2022

Computer Science Seminar

Andrew Drucker
Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science
University of Chicago

Friday September 30th
2:30pm-3:30pm
In Person: John Crerar Library 390

Title: Accelerating Search for Decision-Making Under Uncertainty

Abstract: I will discuss my research in CS theory, with a focus on decision-making under uncertainty.  A broad variety of decision-making tasks can be modeled as “games against Nature”, in which a player alternates moves with an opponent (“Nature”) who plays randomly.

For general binary-move games, I have provided an algorithm yielding rigorous exponential computational savings over brute-force search—with no assumption of bounded state-space.  This provides, for the first time, a search technique in this setting of power comparable to alpha/beta-style pruning for games against adversarial opponents.  I will discuss the ideas involved, which are new and much more subtle than in the adversarial setting, and which hold promise for further work.

---
Holly Santos
Executive Assistant to Michael J. Franklin, Chairman
Department of Computer Science
The University of Chicago
5730 S Ellis Ave-217   Chicago, IL 60637
P: 773-834-8977
hsantos at uchicago.edu<mailto:hsantos at uchicago.edu>