[Colloquium] TOMORROW: James Zou (Stanford) – Clinical Trials for AI and AI for Clinical Trials

Rob Mitchum rmitchum at uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 13 09:15:23 CDT 2022

*Friday, October 14th *
*12:00pm - 1:30pm (12:00 lunch, 12:30 talk)*
*In Person: John Crerar Library 390*
*Zoom: *
https://uchicagogroup.zoom.us/j/98512298466?pwd=djlGb3BnejRqZEM2UnVyVUszNFFCQT09
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://uchicagogroup.zoom.us/j/98512298466?pwd%3DdjlGb3BnejRqZEM2UnVyVUszNFFCQT09&sa=D&source=calendar&ust=1666024766969617&usg=AOvVaw1Weqfh8SD6AzDl61EByWU3>
*Meeting ID*: 985 1229 8466
*Passcode*: 459333

*James Zou*
*Assistant Professor, Biomedical Data Science, Computer Science, Electrical
Engineering*
*Stanford University*

*Clinical Trials for AI and AI for Clinical Trials*
*Abstract: *Clinical trials are the gatekeeper and bottleneck of medicine.
In the first half of the talk, I discuss lessons learned from our
systematic analysis of all the FDA-approved medical AI devices, which
reveals key limitations in how AIs are evaluated (Wu et al. Nature Medicine
2021). Motivated by this, I share the design and results from our recent
randomized prospective clinical trial evaluating EchoNet, a computer vision
AI for assessing cardiac conditions. In the second half, I will discuss how
to use AI (Trial Pathfinder) to make clinical trials more diverse and
efficient (Liu et al. Nature 2021). Trial Pathfinder is used by pharma
companies to guide new trials and was selected as a Top Ten Clinical
Research Achievement.

*Bio: *James Zou
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.james-zou.com/&sa=D&source=calendar&ust=1666024766969617&usg=AOvVaw0j05rlAynR_zpubR4wVNA3>
is
an assistant professor of Biomedical Data Science, CS and EE at Stanford
University. He develops machine learning methods for biology and medicine.
He works on both improving the foundations of ML–-by making models more
trustworthy and reliable–-as well as in-depth scientific and clinical
applications. He has received a Sloan Fellowship, an NSF CAREER Award, two
Chan-Zuckerberg Investigator Awards, a Top Ten Clinical Achievement Award,
several best paper awards, and faculty awards from Google, Amazon, Tencent
and Adobe.

--
*Rob Mitchum*

*Associate Director of Communications for Data Science and Computing*
*Department of Computer Science*
*Data Science Institute*
*University of Chicago*
*rmitchum at uchicago.edu <rmitchum at ci.uchicago.edu>*