[Colloquium] 10/14: James Zou (Stanford) – Clinical Trials for AI and AI for Clinical Trials

Rob Mitchum rdmitchum at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 16:18:48 CDT 2022

*Computer Science/Data Science Institute Distinguished Speaker Series
<https://datascience.uchicago.edu/news/autumn-2022-distinguished-speaker-series/>*

*James Zou*
*Assistant Professor, Biomedical Data Science, CS, EE*
*Stanford University*

*Friday, October 14th*
*12:00pm - 1:30pm (12:00 lunch, 12:30 talk)*
*In Person: John Crerar Library 390*
*Zoom: Register for Details
<https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/james-zou-stanford-clinical-trials-for-ai-and-ai-for-clinical-trials-tickets-430947554737>*

*Clinical Trials for AI and AI for Clinical Trials*

*Abstract: *Clinical trials are the gatekeeper and bottleneck of medicine.
In the first half of the talk, I discuss lessons learned from our
systematic analysis of all the FDA-approved medical AI devices, which
reveals key limitations in how AIs are evaluated (Wu et al. Nature Medicine
2021). Motivated by this, I share the design and results from our recent
randomized prospective clinical trial evaluating EchoNet, a computer vision
AI for assessing cardiac conditions. In the second half, I will discuss how
to use AI (Trial Pathfinder) to make clinical trials more diverse and
efficient (Liu et al. Nature 2021). Trial Pathfinder is used by pharma
companies to guide new trials and was selected as a Top Ten Clinical
Research Achievement.

*Bio: *James Zou <https://www.james-zou.com/> is an assistant professor of
Biomedical Data Science, CS and EE at Stanford University. He develops
machine learning methods for biology and medicine. He works on both
improving the foundations of ML–-by making models more trustworthy and
reliable–-as well as in-depth scientific and clinical applications. He has
received a Sloan Fellowship, an NSF CAREER Award, two Chan-Zuckerberg
Investigator Awards, a Top Ten Clinical Achievement Award, several best
paper awards, and faculty awards from Google, Amazon, Tencent and Adobe.