[Colloquium] Reminder - Jafar Jafarov Candidacy Exam/Mar 8, 2022

Megan Woodward meganwoodward at uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 8 09:00:59 CST 2022

This is an announcement of Jafar Jafarov's Candidacy Exam.
Candidate: Jafar Jafarov

Date: Tuesday, March 08, 2022

Time:  2 pm CST

Remote Location: https://uchicago.zoom.us/j/99315816089?pwd=bjhvZGFFenlvYmI4bTlSRUU4Tzhodz09  Meeting ID: 993 1581 6089 Passcode: 725555

Title: Correlation Clustering with Local and Global Objectives

Abstract: In the Correlation Clustering problem, we are given a graph with its edges labeled as "similar" and "dissimilar" by a noisy binary classifier, and the goal is to produce a clustering of the vertex set which matches with the edge labels as much as possible. Correlation Clustering has been mainly studied under two models where the input graph is (i) complete and unweighted, and (ii) arbitrary and weighted.

In this thesis, we introduce a new model of Correlation Clustering that better captures real life instances. In this model the input graph is complete with bounded edge weights. We give an approximation algorithm and give a matching integrality gap instance. Moreover, we examine the model under a l_p objective which is a generalization of the standard Correlation Clustering objective, MinDisagree. We give an approximation algorithm and show an almost matching integrality gap for this objective.

Advisors: Janos Simon and Yury Makarychev

Committee Members: Yury Makarychev, Aaron Potechin, Konstantin Makarychev, and Janos Simon