[Colloquium] Kartik Singhal Candidacy Exam/Sep 6, 2022

Megan Woodward meganwoodward at uchicago.edu
Mon Aug 29 10:27:16 CDT 2022

This is an announcement of Kartik Singhal's Candidacy Exam.
Candidate: Kartik Singhal

Date: Tuesday, September 06, 2022

Time: 10 am CST

Remote Location: https://uchicago.zoom.us/j/99499484166?pwd=b2VLeDVXTVJoaE9WUzJUT1BmNDZLUT09  Meeting ID: 994 9948 4166 Passcode: 390904

Location: JCL 298

Title: The Essence of Q#: Toward Safe and Certified Quantum Programs

Abstract: Q# is one of the only industry-supported standalone quantum programming languages, but it lacks precision in its specification. I propose to provide a formal language definition for Q# through a translation to λ-Q#, a small core language for quantum computation. This definition leads to a clearer understanding of the Q# language semantics. Using λ-Q# as a testbed, I propose the design of a stronger type system that will lead to safer Q# programs. I also propose a verification architecture for λ-Q# that can serve as a unified framework for formally specifying, programming, and reasoning about quantum programs.

Advisors: Robert Rand

Committee Members: Robert Rand, Fred Chong, Michael Hicks, and Matt Amy

https://ks.cs.uchicago.edu/files/thesis-proposal.pdf