[Colloquium] 4/27: Shalaleh Rismani (McGill) - How Do AI Systems "break" Socially and Ethically

Rob Mitchum rmitchum at uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 22 16:39:41 CDT 2022

*UChicago HCI Club Seminar*

Shalaleh Rismani
PhD Candidate
McGill University

*Wednesday, April 27th*

*12:30-1:30pm*
*Remote (Zoom info below)*

*How Do AI Systems "break" Socially and Ethically*

Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA) has been used as an engineering
risk assessment tool since 1949. FMEAs are effective in pre-emptively
identifying and addressing how a device might fail and are often used in
the design of high-risk technology applications such as military,
automotive, and medical industries. In this talk, we explore how FMEAs can
be used to identify social and ethical failures of Artificial Intelligent
Systems (AISs) when it is interacting with a human partner. I will begin by
proposing a process for developing a Social FMEAs (So-FMEAs) by building on
the existing FMEA framework and the concept of Social Failure Modes coined
by Millar. Using this proposed process, I will discuss a simple
proof-of-concept focusing on failures in human-AI interaction.

*Bio:* Shalaleh is a PhD candidate in electrical and computer engineering
at McGill University and Mila where she works on interdisciplinary research
challenges with my colleagues at the Responsible Autonomy and Intelligent
Systems Ethics (RAISE Lab). Her current research focuses on how development
teams can characterize, identify and mitigate social and ethical failures
of machine learning (ML) systems as early as possible in the ML development
process. Moreover, she is interested in investigating how these types of
failures reveal themselves in human-ML interactions. Prior to starting her
PhD, she co-founded Generation R consulting, a boutique AI ethics
consultancy and was a design researcher with Open Roboethics Institute, on
a full time basis.

She is currently the executive director at the Open Roboethics Institute
(ORI)
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.openroboethics.org__;!!BpyFHLRN4TMTrA!pWHsFjZVcNgOI_l6zo69NyBiPm2YUGt-CX7oJTf5sQkf3rWroC1GISAo2URxrKWBKF7Y$>,
previously Open Roboethics initiative (ORi) which was established in 2012.
ORI is a Canadian not for profit organization focusing on education and
public engagement initiatives.

This talk is remote.
Zoom Link For Talk: https://uchicago.zoom.us/j/99795377041
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://uchicago.zoom.us/j/99795377041__;!!BpyFHLRN4TMTrA!p20fTTHinpfgvjmEUtOHM1OimwgqMz-fthlpAg1ZglFAGqW75ydF67-N_W4sxHVw2aU7$>
Password: hci

--
*Rob Mitchum*

*Associate Director of Communications for Data Science and Computing*
*University of Chicago*
*rmitchum at uchicago.edu <rmitchum at ci.uchicago.edu>*
*773-484-9890*