[Colloquium] Austin Clyde MS Presentation/May 21, 2021

Rene Noyola rnoyola at uchicago.edu
Fri May 21 09:21:14 CDT 2021

        Reminder - TODAY - Austin Clyde MS Presentation/May 21, 2021

        This is an announcement of Austin Clyde's MS exam.

        Candidate: Austin Clyde

        Date: Friday, May 21, 2021

        Time: 11:15AM CST

        Place: Via Zoom

        https://uchicago.zoom.us/j/98371252718?pwd=UWFEcVpkcmZZek40KzUwZzcyYU8yUT09
        Meeting ID: 983 7125 2718
        Passcode: 037856

        Title: Computational High Throughput Virtual Screening for Small Ligand Inhibitors: Disentangling Screening and Exploration

        Abstract: The current paradigm of high throughput virtual screening (HTVS) for small molecule therapeutics focuses accelerating computational screening to locate novel chemotypes typically unexpored in medicinal chemistry. Along this axis, we develop ML-based surrogate models for protein-ligand docking programs with a focus on the analysis of their performance for practical data-driven drug discovery. This analysis provides a quantitative cost equation to weigh the deployment of surrogate models for docking campaigns. Second, in an attempt to escape the intractable un-screenability of chemical space, we present a new computational framework for computational drug optimization and discovery based on chemical scaffolds. We structure molecular space as a hierarchical graph based on scaffold-membership and structure inclusion. This move aligns the methodological theory in computing campaigns with the methodological theory in experimental medicinal chemistry drug series. By restructuring the domain, chemical space, we also interact with past efforts in molecular design such as inductive logic programming and probabilistic relational models.

        Advisors: Rick Stevens, Rebecca Willet, Eric Jonas