[Colloquium] NOW: 3/4 Talks at TTIC: Raymond Yeh, UIUC

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Thu Mar 4 11:09:38 CST 2021

*When:*      Thursday, March 4th at* 11:10 am CT*

*Where:*     Zoom Virtual Talk (*register in advance here
<https://uchicagogroup.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_byoLTO4SRAyopvO2kKizHQ>*)

*Who: *       Raymond Yeh, UIUC

*Title:   *     Extracting Structures from Data: The Black-Box, the Manual
and the Discovered

*Abstract:* Representing structure in data is at the heart of computer
vision and machine learning, i.e., the act of converting raw data into a
useful mathematical form. In this talk, I will discuss solutions that are
broadly characterized into three themes: the black-box, the manual, and the
discovered. First, I will discuss how to use deep generative models to
learn structures for face images and its application to image inpainting.
Going beyond black-box models, I will explain how to manually impose
structures in deep-nets for human pose-regression. Specifically, I will
introduce chirality nets, a family of deep-nets that respects left/right
symmetry of human poses. Lastly, I will illustrate how to discover pairwise
word-to-object structures in the context of textual-grounding and discuss
current efforts towards discovering general structures.

*Bio:* Raymond A. Yeh is a PhD candidate at the University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) advised by Alexander Schwing, Minh Do, and Mark
Hasegawa-Johnson. Previously, he has spent time interning at Google AI and
Johns Hopkins University. He is a recipient of the Google PhD Fellowship,
the Mavis Future Faculty Fellowship and the Henry Ford II Scholarship. His
research interests lie at the intersection of machine learning and computer
vision.

*Host:* Greg Shakhnarovich <greg at ttic.edu>

Mary C. Marre
Faculty Administrative Support