[Colloquium] Reminder - TODAY: Zhujun Xiao PhD Dissertation Defense / July 15, 2021

Rene Noyola rnoyola at uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 15 09:24:30 CDT 2021

Reminder - TODAY: Zhujun Xiao PhD Dissertation Defense

Name: Zhujun Xiao
Student ID: 12181081
Exam: PhD dissertation Defense
Data/Time: 10am July 15th, 2021
Committee members: Heather Zheng, Ben Y. Zhao, Junchen Jiang
Zoom meeting link: https://uchicago.zoom.us/j/97344992670?pwd=b29MbldVQUExU2kwaDhpa0JBL2NKZz09 (password: 049949)

Dissertation title: Heterogeneity and Scalability in Machine Learning based Sensing Systems
Abstract: Deployment of machine learning models into real-world distributed systems is a challenging process. For a number of sensing and monitoring applications, ML developers must overcome dual challenges of heterogeneity and scalability. Heterogeneity refers to the need for ML models to be customized for instances of the application (e.g. a specific geographic or network location). Scalability refers to the challenges of training and deploying distinct models across many nodes in a distributed system.

In my PhD work, I focus on addressing these technical challenges through specific case studies of high-impact problems, including DNN models for spectrum monitoring in cellular networks, video analysis pipelines of urban monitoring systems, and even ML tools for detecting modifications to digital photos. In this talk, I will summarize my dissertation work and focus on our design of the photo moderation tool for online face photos.