[Colloquium] REMINDER: 7/12 Thesis Defense: Nicholas Kolkin, TTIC

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Mon Jul 12 08:00:00 CDT 2021

*Thesis Defense: Nicholas Kolkin, TTIC*

*When:  *     Monday*,* July 12th at *9:00 - 11:00 am CT*

*Where:*      TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th floor, Room 530

*Note:*         At the moment the in-person attendance list is full, so
please plan to attend remotely if you have not signed up.

There is *limited in-person attendance for fully vaccinated persons*.
*For members of TTIC community: *if you would like to attend, please sign
up specifically in the "Nick's defense" section at the bottom of the July
12 column in the TTIC spreadsheet, by adding your name and entering "1".
You can do so as long as capacity does not exceed 15. Please only sign up
in that section (and do not also mark "1" in the normal row for your name)
to keep the total in-person count correct.
*https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1riLfzATcp6NDH0mReGZxpvevfc6Yi2apJ-Ye4uZU62A/edit#gid=1351650168*
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1riLfzATcp6NDH0mReGZxpvevfc6Yi2apJ-Ye4uZU62A/edit#gid=1351650168>
*For people outside TTIC:* if you are interested to attend please contact
Greg Shakhnarovich, greg at ttic.edu.

*Virtually: *  *Register in advance here
<https://uchicagogroup.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_l4Hez5bZQKmjtjL2ZSbRtQ>*

*Who: *        Nicholas Kolkin, TTIC

*Title:        *Non-Parametric Neural Style Transfer

*Abstract:  *It seems easy to imagine a photograph of the Eiffel Tower
painted in the style of Vincent van Gogh's 'The Starry Night', but upon
introspection it is difficult to precisely define what this would entail.
What visual elements must an image contain to represent the 'content' of
the Eiffel Tower? What visual elements of 'The Starry Night' are caused by
van Gogh's 'style' rather than his decision to depict a village under the
night sky? Precisely defining 'content' and 'style' is a central challenge
of designing algorithms for artistic style transfer, algorithms which can
recreate photographs using an artwork's style. My efforts defining these
terms, and designing style transfer algorithms themselves, are the focus of
this thesis. I will begin by proposing novel definitions of style and
content based on optimal transport and self-similarity, and demonstrating
how a style transfer algorithm based on these definitions generates outputs
with improved visual quality. Then I will describe how the traditional
texture-based definition of style can be expanded to include elements of
geometry and proportion by jointly optimizing a keypoint-guided deformation
field alongside the stylized output's pixels. Finally I will describe a
framework inspired by both modern neural style transfer algorithms and
traditional patch-based synthesis approaches which is fast, general, and
offers state-of-the-art visual quality.

*Thesis Advisor:* *Greg Shakhnarovich* <greg at ttic.edu>

Mary C. Marre
Faculty Administrative Support