[Colloquium] REMINDER: 1/13 Talks at TTIC: Soheil Behnezhad, University of Maryland

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Tue Jan 12 15:07:15 CST 2021

*When:*      Wednesday, January 13th at* 11:10 am CT*

*Where:*     Zoom Virtual Talk (*register in advance here
<https://uchicagogroup.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_OeFvNCU3Rd-d6OVJNsgLTw>*)

*Who: *       Soheil Behnezhad, University of Maryland

*Title:* Recent Advances in Large-Scale Graph Algorithms

*Abstract:*
Graphs today are massive. Social network graphs, the web graph, and models
of the brain are just a few examples of graphs with billions of vertices
and trillions of edges. Graph processing at this scale poses unique
challenges. We can no longer afford to have random-access to the input as
assumed by traditional algorithms, and even a linear-time algorithm may be
prohibitive. In this talk, I will overview the recent advances in
large-scale graph processing and the theory behind such algorithms. My
primary focus will be on the Massively Parallel Computations (MPC) model, a
popular theoretical model for modern parallel frameworks such as MapReduce,
Hadoop, Spark, etc. I will particularly talk about my recent works on
maximal matching and graph connectivity problems in this model. I will also
discuss implications for other models of computation and finish with some
open problems.

*Host:   <avrim at ttic.edu>**Avrim Blum* <avrim at ttic.edu>

Mary C. Marre
Faculty Administrative Support