[Colloquium] 2/10 Talks at TTIC: Jan van den Brand, KTH Royal Institute of Technology

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Wed Feb 3 20:09:05 CST 2021

*When:*      Wednesday, February 10th at* 11:10 am CT*

*Where:*     Zoom Virtual Talk (*register in advance here
<https://uchicagogroup.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_mxZdCNdgT4KKEqdAG_DNxw>*)

*Who: *       Jan van den Brand, KTH Royal Institute of Technology

*Title: *       Dynamic Linear Algebra

*Abstract:* Dynamic linear algebra---algorithmic techniques for matrices
that change over time---lies at the core of many applications, from
continuous optimization, to efficient graph algorithms, to machine
learning. Yet, until recently, the full power of dynamic linear algebra was
not known and exploited in most applications.In this talk, I will describe
several new advances in using these techniques and outline the limits of
what can be done with them. I will overview progress on longstanding
problems in dynamic shortest path data structures, regression algorithms,
optimal transport and other problems, using dynamic linear algebra.

*Bio:* Jan van den Brand obtained his bachelor's and master's degrees in
both mathematics and computer science at the Goethe University Frankfurt.
Currently, he is a PhD candidate at KTH Royal Institute of Technology,
Stockholm, and recipient of the Google PhD Fellowship. His research is on
efficient algorithms with focus on optimization and dynamic problems.

*Host:* Julia Chuzhoy <cjulia at ttic.edu>

Mary C. Marre
Faculty Administrative Support