[Colloquium] REMINDER: 12/6 TTIC Colloquium: Jonathan Ullman, Northeastern University

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Sun Dec 5 16:57:35 CST 2021

*When:*      Monday, December 6th, 2021 at *11:00 am CT*

*Where:*     TTIC; 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 530

                  *Virtually:* (*register in advance here
<https://uchicagogroup.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_RXGf1cjWTZiAk-j99Wa-wA>*)

*Who: *       Jonathan Ullman, Northeastern University

*Title:*        Firm Foundations for Private Machine Learning and Statistics

*Abstract: *How can researchers use sensitive datasets for machine learning
and statistics without compromising the privacy of the individuals who
contribute their data?  In this talk I will describe my work on the
foundations of differential privacy---a rigorous framework for answering
this question.  In the past decade, differential privacy has gone from
largely theoretical to widely deployed, and a theme of the talk will be how
new deployments are forcing us to revisit foundational questions about
differential privacy.  This talk will cover a range of issues from
fundamental---like the minimax error rate and necessary assumptions for
private statistical inference---to applied---like auditing the privacy
properties of algorithms for training neural networks.

*Bio: * Jonathan Ullman is an Associate Professor in the Khoury College of
Computer Sciences at Northeastern University.  Before joining Northeastern,
he received his PhD from Harvard in 2013, and in 2014 was a Junior Fellow
in the Simons Society of Fellows.   His research centers on privacy for
machine learning and statistics, and its surprising connections to topics
like statistical validity, robustness, cryptography, and fairness.  He has
been recognized with an NSF CAREER award and the Ruth and Joel Spira
Outstanding Teacher Award.

*Hos**ts:* *Avrim Blum* <avrim at ttic.edu>

For more information on the colloquium series or to subscribe to the
mailing list, please see http://www.ttic.edu/colloquium.php

Mary C. Marre
Faculty Administrative Support