[Colloquium] HCI Distinguished Lecture today at 3 pm

Sandra Wallace swallace at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 26 07:45:22 CDT 2020

When:
Monday, October 26, 2020 3:00pm CDT (public livestream <https://youtu.be/yf_Pet1RSTI> or zoom for registered attendees <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/karrie-karahalios-from-algorithm-awareness-to-algorithm-contestability-tickets-126481143505>)

How to watch:
Livestream on Youtube (no login required, no zoom required): https://youtu.be/yf_Pet1RSTI <https://youtu.be/yf_Pet1RSTI>
Zoom: register here <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/karrie-karahalios-from-algorithm-awareness-to-algorithm-contestability-tickets-126481143505> and we will email you all the details.

Title: From Algorithm Awareness to Algorithm Contestability

Abstract: Algorithms play a large role by shaping what we see and don’t see online.  In this talk I discuss people’s awareness of algorithms in they daily online social life, the power people attribute to algorithms, and how and when people become disillusioned by them.  I further discuss approaches to address control and whether people want control, and move to people’s perceptions of contestable systems.

Bio: Karrie Karahalios is a University Scholar, Professor of Computer Science, a Co-director of the Center for People and Infrastructures and the Center for Just Infrastructures at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and a Senior Research Scientist at Adobe Research. She completed an S.B. in Electrical Engineering, an M.Eng. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, and an S.M. and Ph.D in Media Arts and Sciences at MIT. Her main area of research is Social Computing—more specifically, social network analysis, relationship modeling, social media interface design, social media feed algorithm awareness/literacy, social visualization, group dynamics, speech delay assistive technologies, and tools for speech-delay diagnoses. She has been awarded a Sloan Research Fellowship, a Harvard Berkman Center for Internet and Society Fellowship, a Kavli Fellowship, the A. Richard Newton Breakthrough Research Award, an NSF Early Career Award, and an NCSA Fellowship, among others.

Host: Blase Ur