[Colloquium] REMINDER: 10/19 TTIC Colloquium: Anca Dragan, UC Berkeley

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Sun Oct 18 15:13:43 CDT 2020

*When:*      Monday, October 19th at 11:10 am

*Where:*     Zoom Virtual Talk (*register in advance here
<https://uchicagogroup.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_mhE2QB-YTCe9aaoc2OFDQA>*)

*Who: *       Anca Dragan, UC Berkeley

*Title:*        Getting Human-Robot Interaction Strategies to Emerge from
First Principles

*Abstract:* One of the most exciting things for me in robotics is when
robots find interesting strategies for how to interact with the world, like
navigating closer to a wall to help localization, as solutions to the
sequential decision-making problems they are faced with. I want robots to
be able to do the same when interacting with people, and much of my work to
date has been about formulating HRI problems and modeling/learning enough
about people for that to happen. I'd like to use this talk as an
opportunity to reflect on some of the things we've been able to accomplish
so far -- cars figure out how to negotiate intersections and merges, robots
figure out how to use their physical actions to probe for information, and
they automatically become more conservative when they are wrong as a
consequence of having the right uncertainty -- and on the road ahead.

*Host:* Matthew Walter <mwalter at ttic.edu>

For more information on the *colloquium* series or to subscribe to the
mailing list, please see http://www.ttic.edu/colloquium.php

Mary C. Marre
Faculty Administrative Support