[Colloquium] 3/10 Talks at TTIC: Kevin Lai, GA Tech

Jerome Allen jallen at ttic.edu
Mon Mar 9 11:03:00 CDT 2020

*When:*      Tuesday, March 10th at 11:00 am

*Where:*     TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

*Who: *      Kevin Lai, GA Tech

*Title:  *Understanding Convergence in Min-Max Optimization

*Abstract:  *Many exciting recent developments in machine learning, such as
Generative Adversarial Networks (GANs) and Deepmind's AlphaStar, rely on
finding an equilibrium of a game as part of training. This process can be
described as a min-max optimization problem. While min-max optimization has
a long history of study, the difficulty of training systems such as GANs
has revealed important gaps in our understanding of convergence in games.
In this talk, we will cover several recent results that help fill some of
these gaps. We cover results on fast convergence of fictitious play,
last-iterate convergence, and new higher-order methods for min-max
problems. This talk is based on joint work with Jacob Abernethy, Brian
Bullins, and Andre Wibisono.

* Bio:  *Kevin A. Lai is a 5th year Ph.D. student in the Algorithms,
Combinatorics, and Optimization program at the Georgia Institute of
Technology, advised by Jacob Abernethy. He received his B.S. at Yale and
his M.S.E. at Princeton. His research interests include optimization,
convergence of game dynamics, and online learning.

*Host:  *Nati Srebro

*Jerome Allen*
Executive Assistant to the President
*Toyota Technological Institute*