[Colloquium] 1/27 Talk at TTIC: Subhransu Maji, University of Massachusetts Amherst

Jerome Allen jallen at ttic.edu
Fri Jan 24 11:00:00 CST 2020

*When:*      Monday, January 27th at 11:00 am

*Where:*     TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

*Who: *        Subhransu Maji, University Of Massachusetts Amherst

Title: Task-specific Recognition by Modeling Visual Tasks and their
Relations

Abstract: The AI revolution powered in part by advances in deep learning
has led to many successes in the last decade. Among others, it has enabled
us to study various ecological phenomena by analyzing data from weather
RADAR networks at an unprecedented scale (e.g., [1, 2]). Yet the vast
majority of important applications remain beyond the scope of current AI
systems. One of the barriers is that existing algorithms lack the ability
to learn from limited training data. This is a fundamental challenge
because most real-world data is heavy-tailed and supervision is hard to
acquire. I argue that a principled framework for reasoning about AI
problems can enable modular and data-efficient solutions. Towards this end
I will describe our framework for modeling computer vision tasks and
relations between them (e.g., [3, 4]). Our approach called "task2vec"
computes a vector representation of a task using the Fisher information of
a generic “probe” network. We show that the distance between these vectors
correlates with natural metrics between the domains and labels of tasks. It
is also predictive of transfer, i.e., how much does training a deep network
on one task benefit another, and can be used for model recommendation. On a
portfolio of hundreds of vision tasks the recommended network outperforms
the current gold standard of fine-tuning an ImageNet pre-trained network.
I’ll conclude with some of the life-cycle challenges that we need to
address to make AI systems widely applicable.