[Colloquium] Starting Now ~ MLS Series ~ Steve Hanneke

Annie Simmons simmons3 at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Jan 24 10:19:29 CST 2020

University of Chicago and Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago
Machine Learning Seminar Series

Steve Hanneke, Assistant Professor
TTIC

Friday, January 24, 10:30 - 11:30 am
TTIC Rm 526
(Remote broadcast at JCL Rm 390)

Title:
Learning Whenever Learning is Possible: Universal Learning under General Stochastic Processes

Abstract:
I will present a general theory of learning and generalization without the i.i.d. assumption, starting from first principles. We focus on the problem of universal consistency: the ability to estimate any function from X to Y. We endeavor to answer the question: Does there exist a learning algorithm that is universally consistent under every process on X for which universal consistency is possible? Remarkably, we find the answer is "Yes". Thus, we replace the i.i.d. assumption with only the most natural (and necessary!) assumption: that learning is at least possible. Along the way, we also find a concise characterization of the family of all processes that admit universally consistent learners. One challenge for learning is that some of these processes do not even have a law of large numbers.

Bio:
Steve Hanneke is a Research Assistant Professor at the Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago. His research explores the theory of machine learning, with a focus on reducing the number of training examples sufficient for learning. His work develops new approaches to
supervised, semi-supervised, transfer, and active learning, and also revisits the basic probabilistic assumptions at the foundation of learning theory. Steve earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science from UIUC in 2005 and a Ph.D. in Machine Learning from Carnegie Mellon University in 2009 with a dissertation on the theoretical foundations of active learning.

Host: Brian Bullins

Annie Simmons
Project Assistant IV
Computer Science Department
John Crerar Library Building
5730 S. Ellis
Chicago, IL 60637
773.834.2750
773.702.8487
simmons3 at cs.uchicago.edu

“The dream is free the hustle is sold separately"