[Colloquium] [masters-presentation] Liu/MS Presentation/Jan 30, 2020

Margaret Jaffey margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 16 10:59:06 CST 2020

This is an announcement of Rui Liu's MS Presentation.

Date:  Thursday, January 30, 2020

Time:  3:30 PM

Place:  John Crerar Library 298

M.S. Candidate:  Rui Liu

M.S. Paper Title: Understanding Fine-Grained Resource Sharing in
Neural Network Training for Hyper-Parameter Tuning and Multi-Tenancy

Abstract:
As neural networks are increasingly employed in machine learning
practice, organizations will have to determine how to share limited
training resources among a diverse set of model training tasks. This
paper studies jointly training multiple neural network models on a
single GPU. We presents an empirical study of this operation, called
"pack", and end-to-end experiments that suggest significant
improvements for hyperparameter search systems. Our research prototype
is in TensorFlow, and we evaluate performance across different models
(ResNet, MobileNet, DenseNet, and MLP) and training scenarios. The
results suggest: (1) packing two models can bring up to 40%
performance improvement over unpacked setups for a single training
step and the improvement increases when packing more models; (2) the
benefit of a pack primitive largely depends on a number of factors
including memory capacity, chip architecture, neural network
structure, and batch size; (3) there exists a trade-off between
packing and unpacking when training multiple neural network models on
limited resources; (4) a pack-based Hyperband is up to 2.7x faster
than the original Hyperband training method in our experiment setting,
with this improvement growing as memory size increases and
subsequently the density of models packed.

Rui's advisors are Prof. Aaron Elmore and Prof. Michael Franklin

Login to the Computer Science Department website for details:
 https://newtraell.cs.uchicago.edu/phd/ms_announcements#ruiliu

Margaret P. Jaffey            margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Department of Computer Science
Student Support Rep (JCL 350)              (773) 702-6011
The University of Chicago      http://www.cs.uchicago.edu