[Colloquium] [TTIC Talks] REMINDER: 2/26 Talks at TTIC: Shubham Tulsiani, Facebook AI Research

Alicia McClarin amcclarin at ttic.edu
Wed Feb 26 10:00:00 CST 2020

*When:*      Wednesday, February 26th at 11:00am

*Where:*     TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

*Who: *       Shubham Tulsiani, Facebook AI Research

*Title*:         Learning 3D Perception

*Abstract*:  Learning based techniques have enabled perception systems that
can accurately classify images, and even identify and localize the objects
in them. But, while these systems are adept at labeling the 2D image, they
fail to understand the 3D world behind it. On the other hand,
geometry-driven methods allow us to model the 3D world from images, but
cannot operate given a single image of a novel scene. My research focuses
on unifying the two threads and building scalable learning approaches for
single image 3D understanding. Specifically, by incorporating the notion
that our 2D percepts are projections of a 3D world, we can bypass the need
of direct supervision. Further, by leveraging a prior that complex 3D
structures (scenes, objects, etc.) have simpler components, I will show
that we can discover these underlying components, and thereby infer a
factored 3D representation.

Bio:          Shubham Tulsiani is a research scientist at Facebook AI
Research (FAIR). He received a PhD. in Computer Science from UC Berkeley
under the supervision of Jitendra Malik in 2018. He is interested in
enabling machine perception systems to learn about and infer the structure
underlying the physical world. His work was awarded the 'Best Student Paper
Award' at CVPR 2015, and his graduate research was supported by the
Berkeley Fellowship.

*Host:       *Greg Shakhnarovich <greg at ttic.edu>

--
*Alicia McClarin*
*Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago*