[Colloquium] Reminder: CS Seminar today at 2:00pm: Chenhao Tan

Tom Dobes tdobes at uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 9 13:56:19 CDT 2020

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO
DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
PRESENTS

*Chenhao Tan *
*University of Colorado Boulder*

*Thursday, April 9th at 2:00 pm*

Join via zoom (enables questions):
https://uchicago.zoom.us/j/510009130

Or

Watch via live stream:
http://live.cs.uchicago.edu/chenhaotan/

*Title:  **Towards Human-Centered AI: Understanding Language in Social
Contexts*

*Abstract:*
Language plays a central role in shaping human behavior and opinions.
However, understanding language in social contexts is challenging. For
instance, it is well recognized that humans struggle with detecting
deception. Such challenging tasks suggest that AI algorithms can discover
new knowledge from data beyond simply emulating human behavior. This
discovering mode gives rise to opportunities and challenges of augmenting
humans with AI. In this talk, I will first present methods for advancing
AI in the discovering mode: 1) deriving insights from a text corpus by
developing a neural framework for incorporating document metadata such as
tone; 2) identifying the effect of wording in information diffusion by
controlling for confounding factors through natural experiments. I will
then share our recent effort in developing best practices for incorporating
AI into human decision making in such challenging tasks, using deceptive
review detection as a testbed. Our results demonstrate a tradeoff between
human performance and human agency and show that explanations of machine
predictions can moderate this tradeoff.

*Bio:*
*Chenhao Tan is an assistant professor of computer science at the
University of Colorado Boulder. He obtained his PhD degree in the
Department of Computer Science at Cornell University and bachelor's degrees
in computer science and in economics from Tsinghua University. Prior to
joining CU Boulder, he spent a year at the University of Washington as a
postdoc. His research interests include human-centered AI, natural language
processing, and computational social science. His work has been covered by
many news media outlets, such as the New York Times and the Washington
Post. He also won an NSF CAREER award, an NSF CRII award, a Salesforce
research award, a Facebook fellowship, and a Yahoo! Key Scientific
Challenges award.*

*Host:  Michael Franklin*