[Colloquium] Sept 9: Nicholas LaRacuente, (UIUC), Noise, Information, and the Essence of the Quantum

Rob Mitchum rmitchum at uchicago.edu
Fri Sep 6 09:58:39 CDT 2019

See below/attached for information on a special quantum seminar next Monday
organized by the Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering.

*Noise, Information, and the Essence of the Quantum*
Nicholas LaRacuente, University of Illinois, Urbana
Monday, September 9th, 3:30 - 4:30, ERC 301

Quantum mechanics may change the rules of computer science, as the
physical laws constraining computation and communication are different
than classically assumed. Theories of scalable quantum computing and
Shannon regime information are however meeting realities of the Noisy
Intermediate‐Scale Quantum regime. I will describe our use of information
theory to model state decay and decoherence, and ways in which
fundamental entropy inequalities can build in noise and restrictions. We
bound rates and times of decay using complex interpolation and
noncommutative geometry. We connect aspects that distinguish quantum
from effectively classical information and consider why noise sensitivity
differs fundamentally. Finally, I will discuss ongoing collaborations with
experimental groups at the University of Illinois at Urbana‐Champaign.

--
*Rob Mitchum*

*Associate Director of Communications for Data Science and Computing*
*University of Chicago*
*rmitchum at uchicago.edu <rmitchum at ci.uchicago.edu>*
*773-484-9890*