[Colloquium] 11/4 TTIC Colloquium: Yuxin Chen, University of Chicago

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Thu Oct 31 20:40:33 CDT 2019

*When:*      Monday, November 4th at 11:00 am

*Where:*     TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

*Who: *       Yuxin Chen, University of Chicago

*Title:         *Bayesian Experimental Design in the Physical Sciences

*Abstract: *How can we intelligently acquire information for decision
making, when facing a vast space of possible data? In this talk, I will
focus on Bayesian experimental design problems that arise naturally in the
physical sciences, and present how we can develop principled approaches
that actively extract information, identify the most relevant data for the
tasks, and make effective decisions under uncertainty. I will talk about a
few practical challenges in real-world decision-making systems such as
multi-fidelity feedback signals and complex constraints. I will elaborate
on how to address these practical concerns on a variety of application
domains, ranging from nanophotonics, protein engineering to cosmic
discovery.

*Host:* Karen Livescu <klivescu at ttic.edu>

For more information on the colloquium series or to subscribe to the
mailing list, please see http://www.ttic.edu/colloquium.php