[Colloquium] 10/28 TTIC Colloquium: Eric Jonas, University of Chicago

Alicia McClarin amcclarin at ttic.edu
Tue Oct 22 09:58:46 CDT 2019

*When:*     Monday, October 28th at 11:00 am

*Where:*    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

*Who: *      Eric Jonas, University of Chicago

*Title: *      Structured Prediction for Molecular Inverse Problems

*Abstract:* Inverse problems are a well-studied branch of applied
mathematics where we attempt to invert a reasonably-accurate forward model
in an attempt to learn the properties of some hidden source. While
tremendous progress has been made on linear inverse problems, the situation
is more challenging for inverse problems where we are attempting to recover
a structured object, such as a graph. Here I will describe our recent work
on this class of problem with regards to molecular spectroscopy. In
spectroscopic measurements, we attempt to completely recover the edges of a
graph based on various local properties, such as per-vertex parameters or
aggregating functions over graph partitions. We discuss means of
approximating the quantum-chemical forward models, techniques from
structured prediction for inverting the resulting models, and ways in which
we might modify spectroscopic measurements to make the recovery easier.

Host: Nati Srebro <nati at ttic.edu>
--
*Alicia McClarin*
*Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago*