[Colloquium] Reminder: Brackenbury/MS Presentation/Oct 18, 2019

Margaret Jaffey margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 17 15:25:48 CDT 2019

This is a reminder about Will Brackenbury's MS Presentation tomorrow.

Date:  Friday, October 18, 2019

Time:  10:30 AM

Place:  John Crerar Library 346

M.S. Candidate:  Will Brackenbury

M.S. Paper Title: Files of a Feather Flock Together?: Measuring and
Modeling How Users Perceive File Similarity in Cloud Storage

Abstract:
Storing files in the cloud has become effectively free for users,
leading to large and disorganized cloud accounts. Toward an ultimate
goal of leveraging file similarity to improve data discovery and
management, we conducted a 50-participant online study of how users
perceive file similarity and organize similar files. Participants
rated the similarity of pairs of files from their Google Drive or
Dropbox accounts regarding perceived similarity (e.g., whether the
files cover the same topic) and co- management (e.g., whether one file
being deleted implies the other should be). We correlate perceived
similarity and co-management decisions with data similarity (e.g.,
files’ last-modified dates) and files’ relative locations. We build
automated classifiers that identify files similar in perceived
similarity or co-management decisions at double or triple the
precision of a randomized baseline. Many of these similar files are
located in very different parts of disorganized file hierarchies.

Will's advisors are Prof. Blase Ur and Prof. Aaron Elmore

Login to the Computer Science Department website for details:
 https://newtraell.cs.uchicago.edu/phd/ms_announcements#wbrackenbury

Margaret P. Jaffey            margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Department of Computer Science
Student Support Rep (Ry 156)               (773) 702-6011
The University of Chicago      http://www.cs.uchicago.edu